Tuesday, February 3, 2009

(Not) Lost in Translation

Today I was given a fine compliment and told that I was a translator. After writing about having to "traverse the stack" and Business Intelligence as a bad word it felt good to hear evidence that bridging the gap between the technical world and the healthcare world is doable by mere humans. Like many things in our culture this talent isn't nurtured early enough and it seems that the school of hard knocks is the primary teacher. For example, how many computer science programs emphasize non-technical writing, non-academic presentation and business skills? It's been a while since I got my Bachelors Degree but I don't see the core of these programs doing a good job in this area.

There are a few ways to try and get there faster. A double major in business management, communications or an MBA. In fact many of the best and most effective translators I know got their MBAs early in their careers and I admire their grace. In a pinch though an organization can help this happen by cultivating these skills internally, not slaying people for making mistakes and committing to the development of their people. These things will evolve into part of a hard-wired culture of learning and culture definitely eats strategy for lunch!

Back to sharpening the saw...

No comments: