Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Unexpected Benefits of Blogging

I've discovered a few unexpected benefits of blogging about my worklife that I thought I'd share...
  • It reinforces my optimism. I blog to write and as my college writing teach said, "writing is an inherently public and creative act". I can brood if left to my own thoughts alone but the creative process doesn't allow for brooding much and the public act of writing doesn't allow me to feel alone much.
  • It allows me to collect, synthesize and assemble thoughts that would otherwise remain unrelated. I'm rarely able to sit down and tackle a single topic when writing a new post. Several things swim around in my head at the same time. This may be because I scan my google reader account (see the newsreel box on the right) usually before blogging. The thoughts of a lot of extremely intelligent people get stirred around with thoughts about my day and memories. They sometimes stick to each other like Velcro.
  • Strangely enough I can use it to avenge the evil exploits of my colleagues. For example, I have my Windows Mobile cellphone setup to post directly to this blog. Today I took a picture of one of my colleagues eating an egg salad sandwich. This was in revenge for her giving me a hard time relentlessly a week ago. Now, at the touch of a button I can post that picture for anyone to see. I probably won't though, unless she gives me a hard time for blogging again.

No comments: