Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Healthcare - Privilege, Right or Responsibility

A couple of days ago I was talking to one of my colleagues who works in Quality/Risk about the project that we're working together to get launched. She had recently gone to a Mission Leadership event and when I asked where she was for the last couple of days she filled me in a bit.

This demands a bit of background. I work for nuns. I tell people this somewhat tongue in cheek but it's true. The trick is, many of the nuns that I work for have passed away but their legacy remains in the schools and hospitals that they founded. The sister who works in our office reminds us regularly that there are fewer and will continue to be fewer sisters to carry on that legacy. They are, over time, teaching the lay leaders, us, the tenets of Catholic healthcare. They do this so that the legacy will carry on. When I reflect on their faith in us it resonates as a sense of personal responsibility and humility.

My colleague told me about one of the fundamental tenets of Catholic healthcare. That healthcare is a right of every individual. I've given this a lot of thought and think I agree. It's idealistic in many respects but so are many of the beliefs that we hold to as a country, society and culture. The declaration of Independence states that we have certain inalienable rights. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are tenets from our countries founding fathers that are just as idealistic. When I think about this it means to me that all individuals have a right to receive care when they are unwell. The basic problem is that not everyone can afford it right now. I'm proud to work for a system that prides itself on the amount of charity care that it provides. We're a long way away from realizing healthcare as a right.

So tonight I watch the presidential debate and what does Tom Brokaw ask? Should healthcare be a privilege, right or responsibility (Obama: a right, McCain: a responsibility)? There was talk of priorities, for Obama healthcare is number two (after climate change and energy), for John McCain it's to be worked in parallel with the other issues of the day. There was talk of tax credits, fines and small businesses. For now it's all rhetoric. I sure hope that at the end of the day whatever transpires there is real change for the better because I think the sisters have it right.

No comments: